What is Better York?
Better York is a civic organization committed to providing leadership on issues of importance to economic development and public safety in the City of York, with a particular focus on downtown York.
Who is Better York's membership?
Better York membership consists of approximately 70 executives of York’s leading businesses and nonprofits who are concerned about the future of the City of York and committed to making York an attractive place to live, work, shop and socialize.
How does Better York make an impact?
Better York plays a non-partisan role in public policy debates; fosters public/private partnerships for community initiatives; and works wherever possible through existing organizations.
This activity is carried out in two ways. First, Better York advocates both in writing and personally with elected officials on issues important to its concerns. On occasion, Better York will communicate positions publicly through newspaper op eds and in public forums. Second, Better York frequently makes financial contributions to start or support important activities by other organizations that are focused on its specific concerns.
What is the current focus of Better York?
Better York believes that we have a tremendous asset in the architectural infrastructure of the York City business district that can become an economic driver and quality of life enhancer for all of the businesses in York County IF we make it a dynamic urban scene. In 2016 Better York will continue to focus on:
· Implementing the Roger Brooks plan to establish a vibrant Market District in downtown York;
· Continuing in the multi-party effort, led by Downtown, Inc, to formulate and implement state-of-the- art measures to improve public safety in downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods;
· Working with the York County Community Foundation to support City of York efforts to reduce taxes and fix structural financial problems in city government, and
· Responding to timely opportunities to provide funding for small projects to enhance York’s downtown environment.
How is the Better York organization structured?
All contributors receive one board seat. The full board meets four times a year in January, April, July and October. Meetings are held the first Monday of the month at the Yorktowne Hotel at 4:00 PM. The executive committee meets during the months when the full board does not and is empowered to carry out policy direction set by the board.
How is Better York supported?
Member contributions support the administrative budget and underwrite targeted projects. Members use their discretion to give at the level commensurate with their peers and ability.
Contribution levels are:
- Contributor $ 500 - $1,000
- Supporter $ 1,000 - $2,500
- Sustaining $ 2,500 - $5,000
- Benefactor $ 5,000 - $10,000
- Exalted Director $10,000 and above