Why does downtown Matter?
It is the mission of Downtown Inc to drive, enhance, and encourage investment in Downtown York.
- A downtown is home to locally owned, independent businesses that keep 68% of their revenue recycling back into the community.
- A healthy, vibrant downtown is an indicator of the economic condition of the City and the County.
- Downtown businesses provide employment opportunities at all skill levels.
- Successful downtown businesses can pay higher business privilege and mercantile taxes, contributing to the overall growth and economic improvement of the City and County.
- A healthy downtown enhances property values and expands the City’s tax base.
- A vibrant downtown creates a sense of place and pride for the community.
- A downtown reduces sprawl by concentrating commercial activity in one area.
- It serves as an incubator—for new, small, and locally owned businesses.
- Downtowns preserve and improve property values—in both immediate and surrounding residential neighborhoods.
- The rehabilitation of old buildings supports the local economy by employing local trades... and local tradesmen usually purchase local building materials.
- A downtown serves as a community space where members of all segments of the community can come together for parades and other community events.
- The downtown is usually home to a community’s arts and cultural offerings—which also act as an economic driver and catalyst for business development.