employment with Downtown Inc
Thinking about a new career? Play a part in the revitalization of Downtown York! Downtown Inc is THE organization working to enhance and encourage investment in York’s central business district. We do that through economic development, promotions, placemaking and public safety.
Director of Downtown Inc
The Director of Downtown Inc oversees day-to-day operations of the five-person Downtown Inc team. The Director functions as Main Street Manager for the 26 square-block central business district of historic Downtown York, Pennsylvania, and as manager of the Business Improvement District. As such, the Director will manage a broad array of programs, projects, and partnerships intended to improve the urban landscape through beautification programs and policy changes; promote the downtown through branding, marketing, and events; enhance public safety in partnership with City of York and police department; and foster economic development through business recruitment and retention. The Director will especially focus on building relationships with the downtown business community to better serve their needs and advocate for their success.
• Champion Downtown York in the community through media appearances, representing Downtown Inc on key committees, and generally advocating for the interests of Downtown York whenever possible
• Oversee direct reports working on events, urban landscapes, marketing and communications, and operations
• Collaborate with the board of the York Business Improvement District Authority on Downtown Inc’s strategy for continuous improvement of the central business district
• Maintain relationships with partner organizations and committees, including but not limited to: Mayor’s office, City Council, County Commissioners, Better York, York Counts, York County Community Foundation, and major corporate and foundation donors
• Proactively reach out to businesses to foster relationships, anticipate and address concerns, and document business needs and successes
• Develop an annual work plan and budget for Downtown Inc
• Oversee annual fundraising and membership campaigns
• Develop a plan for renewal of Business Improvement District in 2020
• Other duties as assigned.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as business, communications, planning, or public policy, and/or 2—4 years of professional experience in an economic and community development role
• Experience with the Main Street approach, ideally in a leadership position within a successful Main Street program or similar organization
• Fluency in Spanish highly-desired but not required
• Experience managing staff
• Experience developing and managing budgets
• Demonstrated fundraising ability and track record of securing public and private grants
• Ability to develop relationships and work with external partners of all types, including but not limited to businesses, vendors, city staff, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to manage logistics, details, and deadlines
• Able to function effectively and independent of direct-supervision
• Able to handle sensitive issues, situations, and information with diplomacy, professionalism and confidentiality
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic and creative leader to champion the success of Downtown York, which in recent years has seen a flurry of new business and residential development. In September 2018, Downtown Inc entered a strategic affiliation with the York County Economic Alliance, effectively bringing together York County’s two economic development powerhouses under a shared leadership structure. As a result, Downtown Inc now has the ability to leverage the YCEA’s significant marketing, economic financing, and advocacy resources for the benefit of Downtown York. The new Director of Downtown Inc will collaborate with YCEA’s VP of Economic & Community Development to fully leverage the affiliation and elevate the prominence and impact of the Downtown Inc team. The Director will also work closely with the board of the York Business Improvement District Authority, which oversees the collection and allocation of assessments on commercial properties within the BID. For more information about the recent strategic affiliation, please click here.
Major Downtown Inc initiatives currently underway include:
• Developing the Downtown Dashboard, a metric gathering and monitoring initiative
• Enhancing First Fridays and Downtown Inc’s other popular events
• Implementing the Historically Edgy branding and marketing campaign
• Expanding the capacity and impact of the Downtown Inc Clean Up Crew
• Completing the downtown portion of the York County Heritage Rail Trail
• Partnering in the revitalization of the Codorus Creek
• Completing the first phase of the Market Street Study
• Planning for renewal of the Business Improvement District in 2020
• Building the resources of the Downtown York Landscape Stewardship Fund
For more information about Downtown Inc’s work, please visit www.downtownyorkpa.com.
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and the names/contact information for three references in one PDF file to lschmaltz@YCEAPA.org with “Director of Downtown Inc” in the subject line.
This position will remain open until filled. All resumes received by October 21 will receive full consideration.
YCEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an amazing place to work.