Application Deadline November 17
Job Title: Marketing & Communications Manager
Position Accountable To: CEO
Hours: Full-time, salaried *may require time outside of regular business hours
The Marketing & Communications Manager oversees the organization’s communications plan and is responsible for clearly articulating Downtown Inc’s mission, vision, and accomplishments to a variety of audiences. The Manager oversees key communications initiatives, such as the publication of Downtown York magazine, www.downtownyorkpa.com, and the organization’s social media presence. The Manager is responsible for working with the downtown business community to identify cooperative marketing opportunities. The Manager will be a key point of contact for Downtown Inc’s portion of the “Branding York” initiative, a process intended to support significant investments in marketing for Downtown York in future years.
The ideal candidate will be a multi-tasker who takes pride in managing the details of daily tasks but can also think strategically about the future. The Manager creates opportunities for the CEO to serve as spokesperson for the organization, but isn’t afraid to fill in as necessary, whether on camera or in front of a group. The ideal candidate will use their skills as a story teller and brand manager to bolster the organization’s fundraising and partnership-building activities. They will also be open to growing professionally as Downtown Inc continues to expand its capacity to market Downtown York.
Depending on the candidate’s qualifications, they may also oversee the work of a full-time Marketing & Events Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement the organization’s communications and marketing plan.
- Manage Downtown Inc’s portion of the “Branding York” initiative.
- Cultivate relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets to drive increased positive exposure.
- Write and distribute press releases and handle press inquiries.
- Prep interviewees for interviews and speaking points on Downtown Inc efforts.
- Work with downtown businesses on promotions, co-op marketing, and other opportunities that attract patrons to Downtown York.
- Create opportunities for the CEO to elevate the organization’s prominence among local and regional stakeholders, donors and economic partners.
- Manage the production and content of Downtown York magazine.
- Oversee the development of collateral materials, such as brochures and guides with copywriting and oversight of designer.
- Oversee development and maintenance of www.downtownyorkpa.com (Squarespace) and the organization’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Support implementation of the organization’s development (fundraising) marketing and
- Last updated October 2017
- outreach strategy.
- Provide support as needed to the Marketing & Events Coordinator.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, communications, or a related field and/or more than two years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience and performance with marketing, campaign management, social media and website management, brand management, and/or fundraising.
- Strong understanding of digital marketing and metrics/performance tracking and reporting.
- Main Street, tourism, and/or economic development marketing experience is preferred.
- Experience managing external relationships with a variety of media outlets, issuing press releases, and securing coverage.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and consensus-building skills.
- Confidence in public speaking in a variety of settings and for a variety of audiences.
- Able to function effectively and independent of direct supervision.
- Detail-, deadline-, and goal-oriented.
- Able to handle sensitive issues and information with diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to attend meetings and events outside of regular business hours as needed.
- Health Insurance (100% of individual employee’s costs)
- Paid vacation (starting at 10 days per year)
- Five personal days per year
- Nine paid holidays per year
- Free parking
- Eligibility for workers compensation insurance
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and the names/contact information for three references in one PDF file to email@example.com with “Marketing & Communications Manager” in the subject line.
This position will remain open until filled. All resumes received by November 17 will receive full consideration.
Downtown Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an amazing place to work.