Our Work: Urban Landscape
Mission: To improve the cleanliness, attractiveness, and walkability of Downtown York’s landscape and properties.
A cared-for place is one that draws people in and makes them feel both energized and at home. We are working toward this goal by taking on projects such as creating efficient way-finding, parking and transit for all modes of transportation; addressing beautification, infrastructure, gateways, walkability, public spaces and the physical environment.
- Facilitated the installation of downtown wayfinding signage on intersections on the downtown portion of the Heritage Rail Trail.
- Continued to work toward the completion of final engineering, permits, clearances, zoning, bidding and construction for the extension of the Heritage Rail Trail.
- Worked with Embracing Aging at the York County Community Foundation to facilitate pedestrian infrastructure improvements on North Duke Street, including a new mid-block crosswalk, installation of highly visible signage for vehicles drawing awareness to the crosswalk and a reconstructed ADA curb cut for improved accessibility.
- Continued partnerships with the Garden Club of York, LifePath Ministries and the City of York to plant seasonal plantings in 92 planters and to mulch downtown tree wells.
- Built on our partnership with the York County Solid Waste Authority to support our seasonal Clean-Up Crew, collecting about 6.5 tons of trash and 2.5 tons of recycling from throughout the downtown and, for the first time, continued a two-man offseason crew year-round.
- Secured a contract to install new lighting fixtures on the Northwestern Mutual building, as part of the project with the York County Community Foundation to illuminate the facades of Continental Square’s surrounding buildings.
- Worked with the Women’s Giving Circle, York County Community Foundation, and Loren and Faye Kroh to refurbish and relocate Rosie, the vibrant-yellow cat created by Bob Machovec, from the York Art Institute to Foundry Park.
- Supported the city in creating and promoting York’s Zagster bike-share program.
- Informed efforts to begin beautifying the median strips on East Philadelphia Street.
- Prompted the installation of over 50 “Walk Bicycles on Sidewalks” signs, replacing unfriendly and outdated signage.
Be Part of Our Placemaking Efforts
You can help keep Downtown York beautiful with a gift to the Downtown York Landscape Stewardship Fund. Downtown Inc created the fund in 2018 to sustain maintenance of the organization’s beautification and placemaking efforts in Downtown York for years to come.
Part of Downtown Inc’s current strategic plan, the Landscape Stewardship Fund will enhance the organization’s placemaking efforts by supporting the maintenance of public art, annual flower plantings, Downtown Inc’s Clean-Up Crew and other related needs. The York County Community Foundation will manage the fund on behalf of Downtown Inc. It will exclusively benefit Downtown Inc’s urban landscapes agenda.
Downtown Inc will seek to grow the fund over time and encourages interested donors to support the fund and consider contributing to it as part of their estate planning and planned giving. To learn more about the Downtown York Landscape Stewardship Fund and how to donate, please contact Downtown Inc CEO Silas Chamberlin at 717-849-2331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.